Thursday, April 10, 2008

Looks like the UCI is getting ready to restrict or ban radio communication between riders and team cars. Having never used one, I have no idea what I am missing. In 'cross there is already a ban and I am happy thinking for myself. In MTB no assistance is allowed so no trouble there. One of the main arguments is that the radios allow a heads up for dangerous obstacles. Can you imagine this logic in a MTB race or a 'cross race? It would be non-stop talking.

In last weekend's RVV Devolder's ear piece swung from his ear as he pulled it out after attacking. Phillip Gilbert's earpiece was not used after his attack in Het Volk and it was not working anyway. Both of these guys broke away and won their race. I am old school on this topic and think that a rider should know what to do without assistance or take responsibility for bad decision making in a race if they read it wrong. But, I don't get a vote.

----
Looks like the hole shot will be very important Sunday.

1 comment:

Zoo said...

I think they should ban radios on the professional international level as well. Then when a break gets away the field won't be able to wait until the last 10km to make their move and close the gap, would be much more exciting that way.