Tuesday, August 14, 2007

10 Days Over 90

So far we have had 10 days over 90 degrees and with the heat index, many of those have felt like over 100 degrees. There is little relief out of the 90's for about 2 weeks. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be 101 degrees. It has not rained in 10 days at least.

I have ridden every day for the past 2 weeks and every time I feel I have gotten used to it, I feel just as hot the next day. Being in air conditioning does not help. In fact, if I were to work outside for 7 days I would be acclimated. The indoor/outdoor fluxuation (even in the car) really screws up your sweating systems. The air conditioning feels damn good though.

Sunday I did a group ride that was pretty challenging and for awhile I was just hanging on (especially up the hills). The pace was high and we caught a break in that it was cloudy most of the ride.

This week is a rest week and the highest I will go is doing some tempo work. If I can keep my CTL around 70, I hope to be able to ramp it up to the mid-70's by the first part of September.

I have bought my plane tickets to nationals. That will be the last, final race.

Today at school I had a 14 year old try to kill himself by putting a paper clip into the wall socket. There was flames, and smoke but he was able to let go without going into cardiac arrest. He had wrapped paper around the paper clip where he held it as if this would be a brilliant adaptation. I asked him if he knew that electricity could kill him and he said "no". I don't know what to think anymore.

Anyway, if it is going to be 101 tomorrow and I have to ride easy, I may opt for the trainer. It was nice being the only rider out today in the heat. It made me feel totally stupid and superior at the same time.

No comments: