Sunday, August 06, 2006

Good to the Last Drop

I was excited to try the new Jottery Joe's Saturday morning ride since it covered some new roads and journeyed out to Lake Lanier. I had not looked at the profile, only the map, and thought that the route out by the lake would be following the contours. Nope, it was pocked with steep hills and i managed to get dropped 3 times.

The first drop was my own doing as I really had to take a nature break, but it came right as the fornt guys decided to kill it. So, I did not get back on until the group was ready to turn around. The second drop happened soon after when for some reason I decided to do a 3 minute pull on a slight downhill grade and blow up as the grade manifested itself into a leg breaking short climb. I was able to take an alternate route and meet up with the group near the 12% Poplar St. hill that was very fun. The last drop occured on Satellite Blvd. near the end as the road climbed steadily for almost a mile. Eventually the group pulled away but only about 10 seconds.

Since May I had not done a ride with any pace changes similar to a race. My legs really resisted this but these are the efforts I need for the next month so I hope the fast guys keep coming out.

I really liked this ride a lot and hope to do it again very soon. Jittery Joe's in Buford was very accomodating and it was nice to see the owner riding with us.



No comments: