Tuesday, January 01, 2008

One Last Racing Goal

My only racing goal left is to break an hour for a 40km TT using a regular bike. My coach suggested 8-12 weeks of level 2, 3 and 4 workouts (easy, tempo, threshold), then 6 weeks of focusing on L4, L5 and a little more L3 (threshold, VO2 max, tempo). So that's 18 weeks before the target.

He also suggested that I gradually get used to a 60 minute effort in the drops saying, "As someone who did a few 40k TTs before aerobars existed, I can tell you that is not necessarily easy. At 40kph and over though, the aero position you can hold is perhaps the most important thing. When folks start to suffer, they typically straighten their arms and sit up higher (which can cost you 20-30W!). So being able to get and stay low when you're really suffering is a critical skill."

He also suggested picking the target day wisely in terms of wind, warmth, and air density conditions.

I am not sure when I will try to tackle this remaining goal, but I am sure it will be challenging and I may not be able to do it on my first try. I have the course already selected so all that is left is motivation and time to spend.

No comments: