Wednesday, July 25, 2007

VO2 Max Intervals

One of the components for estimating FTP was an all out 5 minute efforts which I was able to do at 360W (top riders are in the 400-500's). So, to build upon the base I have been doing it is now time to throw in some intervals to help build up this system.

My VO2 max range is between 318W and 368W and over the next 4 weeks I will be doing 2 workouts each weeks with varying intervals times.

Yesterday I started out with 5x5 minute efforts (4 min recover) and Thursday (in lieu of racing) I will do 6x3 minute efforts (3 minutes recovery). It would be ideal to have a nice 5 minute climb on which to do these but doing them on flat ground is fine too.

Next week the intervals times change to 6x5 and 7x3 and stay that way for two weeks. There are still other workouts to do that include tempo and sprints on other days.

It will be really important to watch TSS and ATL so that I am not overextended.

The 5x5 efforts were hard and left me pretty tired. But I felt that way at the beginning of threshold intervals and by the end I felt much better.

Weeks 7-12 are going to be interesting and include workouts I have never done before. I'll mention them later.

Still no mention of the 'cross schedule although I do know of 2 races on the docket. Hopefully the planning is coming along smoothly.

No comments: