Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Passing of a Naturalist


I discovered Big Trees Forest Preserve back in 1998 when I was looking to get my marriage license at the Fulton County Annex building in (now) Sandy Springs. It is an unassuming urban forest fragment that was cared for passionately by one guy--Charlie Cochrane.

I was there today with my daughter, walking the secluded trails as eagle scout prospects implemented their projects nearby. I assumed that Charlie was where he always was, in the park building coordinating the project and answering any questions preserve users might have. I was shocked to learn that he had in fact passed away on preserve grounds last week at the age of 60.

Charlie always allowed me free reign at Big Trees as I took students there to examine the streams each year as a class project. We had talked about starting various long-term study projects there and he was always nice, accommodating and fiercely protective of the preserve. He would always ask "How many kids?" and "How will they impact the preserve?" he would then tell me he trusted me to uphold the rules and mission of the preserve and allow us to come.

I always admired his dedication to the preserve and his long hours of finding volunteers, guarding it against development, and adding more land to the land trust. I can't imagine Big Trees without him.

If you ever get a chance to go to Big Trees, take a walk on the trails and get away maybe for lunch or take your kids. About the only thing you can do is walk there and enjoy nature, no running, cycling, etc. Those are the rules. But you will get a feel for why it was so important to him and why it needs to continue to be protected.

Obituary

Big Tree Forest Preserve

No comments: