Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Critical Power Test (6/27)

Coming off a rest week a few weeks ago, I did a critical power test to check my functional threshold and make sure I was training at the proper power levels.

I did an all out 20 minute TT on a flat course, then did a 15 minute recovery and then another 5 minute all out TT. No aero modification, just the proper road bike, riding in the drops.



I plugged this information into my CP software and came out with the following...

Average Power 20 Minutes = 311watts; watts/kilo = 4.0
Average Power 5 Minutes = 341watts; watts/kilo = 4.4

CP estimation is 301watts

However, after determining my new power levels from these numbers I decided to dial it back a little since I was having a major problem keeping my intervals within these zones. I used a different CP estimation software program that accounts for 1 minute power as well and it dropped me down to a CP of 293watts.

I decided to base the zones on this power for now and I will retest in 8 weeks.

**update** so far after 4 weeks these zones have been working for me and i will restest on the next rest week cycle at the beginning of August.

No comments: