Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Augusta CX Race--Exerting Less Than Atmospheric Pressure

I was not going to go to Augusta because of the distance and it is still debatable whether Jill said "Go if you want to.", or whether that is what I heard. I hate travelling and staying in hotels by myself ever since I was a consultant. I never know what to do with myself and I feel very uncomfortable. Secondly, I am not the biggest fan of Augusta. I have had some pretty bad working days there and this clouds my impression fo what is probably a very nice place.

Ross created a very nice course at Augusta State College and it should have been one I would do well on-pretty flat, lots of short groomed grass and one nice steep climb. I hate excuses so I basically had nothing at all in my legs and it could have been just as much mental as physical.

Reasons (not excuses):

1. I locked my damn keys in the car. I was excited to start my warm up laps and I took two, came back and my hatch was down and the keys inside. Idiot!
2. I had the wrong wheels on my bike for the course. there was no way up that hill on my slick tires.
3. I had a long sleeved jersey and it had warmed up tremendously.
4. I started out way too fast for some reason trying to be first after the start. Dumb.

Midway through the race after losing the leader's wheel and being passed by the 2nd and 3rd placed riders, I basically gave up mentally. I did not want to be there and now the trip was suddenly not as meaningful. This was really stupid thinking but someimtes you know that it is stupid but you keep doing it anyway. One by one riders passed me by and I just noodled along. Eventually I salvaged 10th place but I left the evnue pretty quickly.

Theresa Thom was intrumental in getting my car open after calling AAA for me. Campus security was not able to open it, but they did try. I did set a land speed record getting home though. I think the Falcons even lost that day (I'm a fan).

No offense Ross, but I severely dislike Augusta and do not wish to go back anytime soon.

No comments: