Thursday, April 26, 2007

Power Test

After 4 days of 6 hour plus riding from Pittsburgh to DC in early April and nursing an injury after wards, I was skeptical about my power test results would be this week. I did a 15, 30 and 60 second all out effort and then a 5 minute and 20 minute all out effort. My 15 second number was lower than I had hoped but having not sprinted in about 2 months a 1190 watt max and a 990 15 second average was not too bad. The 5 minute effort was about what I expected at 380W and I was happy to get 300W for the 20 minute effort. My FTP would therefore be around 285W and I will have to raise this at least 15-20 points for the fall if I expect to be competitive.

The Pitts-DC trip was about a 7 out of 10. I found the riding to be pretty monotonous actually. The first 130 miles or so was nice because a helmet was not needed. But, I did not mesh well with the group which did not help. The C&O canal leg was not really that fun. The surface was full of holes, roots and sticks and it was not really possible to enjoy the scenery. There was a lot I liked but I probably would not do the trip again. The Belgium trip was a 10 out of 10 in 2004 and that was a hard standard to meet.

I hope I can do well this weekend in the SS MTB race at Ft. Yargo. I will get to wear the state championship jersey in the race which will be fun. I most likely will not do the GTC club championships since I am not any where near ready for it. Too bad because I have always done pretty well. I would like to do the Ranger 34K but it is mother's day weekend.

The end of school is 3 weeks away and then it is off to Nebraska for a week to earn some money.

No comments: