Friday, July 20, 2007

Threshold Test Results

The last time I tested in April my functional threshold (FTP) was determined to be 285 watts. This was determined by doing an all out 20 minute effort and another all out 5 minute effort (CP20 and CP5) and then using a Critical Power spreadsheet to determine FTP. My 20 minute average power was 300W and my average 5 minute power was 370W. Once plugged into the spreadsheet I ended up with a FTP of 285 watts.

Today's test was painful but yielded better overall results. I was able to go extend my 20 minute test to 316 W and my 5 minute test dropped to 360 W, yielding a FTP of 300W, an increase of 15 watts.

I have not been training my 3-5 minute VO2 max power but will be over the next 4 weeks, so I should see a little improvement there.

My CTL is around 63 tss/d after the rest week and I hope to get it into the upper 70's before 'cross season.

Hopefully I'll test again in 6 weeks.

Right now I am a fat 79.5kg so the power I am generating is not real impressive at 3.8 w/kg at threshold. If I lost 5 lbs I could increase that to 3.9 w/kg and at a 10 lb loss (not that feesible in 6-8 weeks), my power to weight ratio would climb to 4.02 w/kg at threshold. That means everything being equal, for a 5 lb reduction my threshold would only climb by 1 watt but my predicted 45 minute power would climb to 307W which would be nice.

The funny thing about all the discipline with HR monitors, power meters and training plans, the hardest thing to do is to keep food out of the mouth!

My biggest consistent indulgence is wine at dinner. At 90 calories per 4 oz, or for me 180 calories per 8 oz (2 glasses), that is 1080 calories per week. If 3500 calories per week equals a pound I would be about a third of the way there by dropping the wine alone.

No comments: